Decoding the image-data from a notification

chandler scar at riseup.net
Wed Oct 18 14:40:30 UTC 2023

Thomas Kluyver wrote on 9/28/23 12:24 AM:
> Hi Chandler,
>
> On Thu, 28 Sep 2023, at 07:32, chandler wrote:
>> I've had `dbus-monitor "interface='org.freedesktop.Notifications'"`
>> running as a service, so the data from notifications is saved in the
>> journal.  How could I turn the `image-data` array of bytes back into an
>> image?
> The notifications spec has details of the data format for images being sent:
> https://specifications.freedesktop.org/notification-spec/notification-spec-latest.html#icons-and-images
>
> It should be possible to reconstruct an image from that, using something like the Pillow library in Python, and then save it to any format you choose.
>
> Best wishes,
> Thomas

    Thanks Thomas.  Unfortunately I'm not skilled enough to come up with
something from that, also my time is unfortunately limited, and this
further relates to a legal matter.  I searched and searched but no luck
in figuring this out yet.

    Prior to posting here, I did find the below code^1 <#1> on Github,
but still couldn't get that working even for new incoming
notifications.  It looks pretty complicated and I don't see any mention
of Pillow, so maybe some updated code could work better.  I have the
output from dbus-monitor "interface='org.freedesktop.Notifications'"
saved in the journal and right now there is one particular entry that I
need to get decoded.

    I wonder if we could get the code below or something else working?

Thanks,
Chandler

1)

Issue description How do I get the icon_data through a script. For
example, Discord sends the profile picture in byte format and Spotify
sends the album art in byte format. I am making a notificati...

github.com

Get icon_data. · Issue #1090 · dunst-project/dunst
<https://github.com/dunst-project/dunst/issues/1090#issuecomment-1192500667>

Issue description How do I get the icon_data through a script. For
example, Discord sends the profile picture in byte format and Spotify
sends the album art in byte format. I am making a notification manager
so I was wondering if getting...

🔗