Add a limit for pending messages to a single service

Marek Maślanka mmaslanka at chromium.org
Thu Mar 14 16:23:21 UTC 2024

Hi,

I have a case where a single dbus connection is used to communicate
with different daemons and mainly one service talks to the others. In
some cases I encountered a problem where one of the services is not
responding. In this case dbus-daemon hit the limit of pending replies
(https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/dbus/dbus/-/blob/master/bus/connection.c?ref_type=heads#L2000)
and thus no more messages can be sent to any other service. To face
the problem I proposed the changes that add the limits for pending
messages to destination service. Thanks to this, if one of the
destination services is not responding the sender can still send
messages to other services. The patch can be found here:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/dbus/dbus/-/merge_requests/456 I would
be appreciated to get at least feedback on whether this idea makes
sense or not.

Sorry for duplicate message on the mailing list and gitlab repository
but I don’t know which channel is “more” responsive.
Best,
Marek