D-Bus Versus Varlink

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Mar 22 00:00:01 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 21 March 2024 13:28:09 PDT Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> With my “call” example script
> <https://gitlab.com/ldo/dbussy_examples/>, you can do
>
>     call session org.freedesktop.DBus /org/freedesktop/DBus
> org.freedesktop.DBus ListNames

Possible since 2006:

$ qdbus org.freedesktop.DBus /org/freedesktop/DBus ListNames
org.freedesktop.DBus
org.freedesktop.Notifications
:1.924
:1.925
org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Agent.akonadi_maildispatcher_agent

(the interface name is optional and has always been)

> which is only slightly less cluttered; and you have the “--json”
> option for passing arguments and returning results, which isn’t
> available with either dbus-send or gdbus, that I can see.

There's a slight impedance mismatch there, meaning you'll have a bit of
information loss. But that's a good idea.

   Principal Engineer - Intel DCAI Cloud Engineering