Power devices from session to system

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Fri Dec 19 13:54:36 PST 2008

On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 18:19 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 17:32 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > > I'm not sure we want to let sessions inject data into DeviceKit-power;
> > > seems very complicated for handling the rather edge cases like this.
> > >
> > > Why can't gnome-power-manager (or whatever component that is drawing the
> > > UI) simply provide a very simple D-Bus interface that things like
> > > gnome-phone-manager can hook into to post data?
>
> Then we have to add in a layer of data, and we start putting logic in
> the session, not the system. This is what I wanted to avoid doing.

Apart from the basic battery information, what would be exported there?
Certainly a lot less than what would be available for a laptop battery
or UPS through DK-power, no?

> <snip>
> > Though there is a case (in the input plugin for bluetoothd, in my case)
> > where posting information from a system bus would be useful, at the
> > DK-power level.
>
> Yes, this is what I'm thinking. If we allowing people to
> fast-user-switch then we should probably be exposing this lower down.

But when things like gnome-power-manager, or gphoto2 are exporting
battery information, the connections are per-user. Eg. only one user
will get access to the camera when using gphoto2.