Automated adoption of devkit-power latencies

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Tue Nov 11 05:53:42 PST 2008

Hi folks.

I'm not sure if this is in the scope of devkit-power, but i'd at least
like to bring that topic up here as it is something our engineering team
here is looking at the moment.

The basic simple idea is to adapt the latencies on the fly depending on
the current state and load of the various components.

E.g. take a fileserver in a SMB company that has to do quite a bit of
work during the day but could be run in a much more powered down state
during the night or over the weekends.

Using monitoring information e.g. from collectd or other sources this
could automatically be detected though and then the system could be
automatically transitioned into a related power saving states depending
on the load.

I'd personally like to use devkit-power and it's API as a service, as
overloading it with such functionality might very quickly lead to the
problems we've seen in the past with HAL where everything was put into a
single service.

Right now devkit-power already provides a lot of the things that would
be needed by such a service, so i'm mainly posting this to let you know
we're working on something like that and would like to work with you and
use devkit-power as a service for it.

What do you guys think? Any comments, suggestions or feedback is very
welcome.

Thanks & regards, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch              | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Team Lead Core Services      | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111