Requesting DeviceKit information via Dbus (NDesk in Mono) results in error first time

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Mon Aug 17 05:44:48 PDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 12:00, Danny Haak<danny.haak at nedap.com> wrote:
> I am currently writing a piece of software that needs to know which USB
> devices are attached to the computer. For that, I am using Mono,
> DeviceKit, NDesk Dbus and Ben Gamari's DeviceKit-Sharp managed bindings.

There is no D-Bus service to do that. The DeviceKit daemon is dead and
will not run, or be installed on any usual system. You need to use
libudev, or the GUdev to retrieve this information.
  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/libudev/
  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/gudev/

Kay