DeviceKit-disks renamed to udisks

Ali Abdallah aliov at xfce.org
Sat Dec 5 21:08:23 PST 2009

David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 09:08 +0100, Ali Abdallah wrote:
>
>> Are you able to give satisfying answer now?
>>

> Yes.

What is it?

>> i don't understand what is the benefit of changing the D-Bus
>> name and involving developers/packagers in a extra work for
>> just nothing.
>>

> This could have been the case with any new DeviceKit-disks release as we
> specifically never promised any ABI or API stability whatsoever - the
> NEWS file is very clear on that. At least udisks will provide some level
> of ABI stability.

I'm not speaking about the API/ABI stability, we all are expecting
changes here, but i never expected
changes in the package name itself and the D-Bus service name(s), and i
dunno how this change is going
to provide more ABI stability as you said! i'm the author of the Xfce
power manager and i was ready to release
a devkit version with HAL free+a small battery plugin for our panel, but
now things started to be even more
complicated to us, specially for the core desktop.

I really don't understand what is the benefit of changing the name, the
switch from HAL to devkit was
understandable, but now please please please STOP.

>      David

Best Regards.