DeviceKit-power 005 released

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Feb 6 14:24:28 PST 2009

> David Zeuthen (david at fubar.dk) said:
> > Also, why this on D-Bus in the first place? Why can't interested parties
> > read /proc themselves? AFAICT, it doesn't require any privileges...
>
> The above statement could be read to apply to battery data too,
> with probably the same answer.

I disagree. The difference here is that reading battery data is
something you want to do all the time and it's relatively well-defined
what a battery or power source is. There's also the fact that we want to
drive things like UPSs from our user space daemon and present the data
using the normal interface. So that's useful.

The main thing, I guess, is that we don't want DeviceKit projects to be
the kitchen sink, we tried that before with HAL and it didn't exactly
work out great. So unless there are really good reasons (for example if
privileges are required) for exposing this functionality via IPC I think
we may want to remove it and make the users (e.g. g-p-m) use the native
kernel interfaces instead.

Because.. there's absolutely no need to abstract some abstraction just
for the sake of abstracting it. Especially not if it makes things go
slower, eat more battery and so on.

     David