Mapping form factor

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Jul 2 08:21:50 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 16:12 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > Yeah, maybe it dies for good with HAL, and we should not pretend to
> > know anything like this. Sounds like the best road to take from where
> > we are now.
>
> Then that's a regression.

Please don't use the word regression like that, it's wrong. The main
thing, really, was that we pretended this worked with HAL (it never did)
and it only served to make our software more complex and hard to debug
than it should have been.

> I really don't want to teach
> gnome-power-manager about the niceties of dmidecode just so it can
> choose the default policy in a sane way.

No, just make g-p-m read settings from documented GConf properties and
punt the initial setup to OS installers and system vendors.

Another benefit of doing things this way is that g-p-m won't be this
magic black box making weird decisions for the user that is backed by
data that's not really trust-worthy. E.g. things will be a lot easier to
debug.

     David