Mapping form factor

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 2 09:22:41 PDT 2009

Richard Hughes [2009-07-02 16:36 +0100]:
> Another thing, is we're exporting this as a property in
> DeviceKit-power, then the dmi data can be one source of information, a
> seed if you like. Other metrics could be if the system has more than 4
> disks it can be a server, but you get the idea. Not using the
> information because "it might be wrong" doesn't seem very sensible to
> me.

Well, I know people who use netbooks as a home server; they are power
efficient, silent, powerful enough these days, and have a nicely
integrated terminal. :-) So is this a server? (yes, by use case, no by
form factor); a laptop? (yes, by form factor, no by use case)

I also know people (well, I'm amongst them) who have an internal and
lots of (> 3) USB hard disks. Does that make my machine a server?

I don't see much value in this DMI information, other than purely
informative stuff for displaying. In the context of power management,
the form factor isn't really interesting (you want to conserve power
on both netbooks and giant servers), it's what you want to do with the
machine (like a "snappy and hot <---|---------------> sluggish and low-power
slider).

Just my 2 cents,

Martin