DeviceKit-power and backlight brightness

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 08:40:51 PDT 2009

2009/7/3 David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk>:
> On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 16:08 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
>> I'm not going to revert the patch,
>
> Then I will revert it if you don't. Seriously, Richard, we are _not_
> going to go down the wrong path here. I don't know why that point is so
> hard to get across.

I will remove the patch when intel, radeon and nouveau support
xbacklight, which ajax seems to think might be sometime in the next
few months. Apparently intel is already fixed in linus upstream. If
it's before F12 then we can pretend the interface never existed. If
it's after F12 then I don't get a billion bugs, all with "my laptop
brightness worked fine in F11 but doesn't in F12" as the title.

> FWIW, feel free to keep using the HAL interfaces (X already depends on
> HAL so HAL will be running anyway), but this patch is just not going in.

You're going to revert it? I thought I was maintaining DK-p? I mean,
with you triaging all my DeviceKit-power and gnome-power-manager bugs
you'll totally be aware of the breakage it causes in a distro like
rawhide.

> It's wrong and you know it.

It's wrong, I agree. It's a short term bodge until we can nuke the
interface (now called
org.freedesktop.DeviceKit.Power.Backlight.Temporary.Interface) and
switch to using only X.

Richard.