DeviceKit-power and backlight brightness

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Fri Jul 3 09:19:23 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 17:57, David Zeuthen<david at fubar.dk> wrote:

> Adding this
> backlight stuff to DeviceKit-power is a bad thing to do since this
> belongs in the display server. We all agree on that it seems.

> So please revert the patch and let's get on with our lives.

Yes, please.

Please add the interface and the fallback you try to do in dk-power to
the X server where it belongs. Then the drivers can implement it
properly when they are ready, and will do the right thing
transparently.

You just use that interface, but don't add mechanics of other
subsystems to your own tool, and export the interfaces. Because
something is missing in X is exactly zero reason to add it to
dk-power. It's really the wrong thing to do, at so many levels - and
we've been through all that, I was hoping.

Thanks,
Kay