DeviceKit-power and backlight brightness

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Jul 3 10:30:04 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 19:16 +0200, Ali Abdallah wrote:
> Richard Hughes wrote:
>
> > but instead require people that use
> > the code to define I_KNOW_DKP_BACKLIGHT_IS_TEMPORARY
>
> This temporary thing will stay for 5 years at least, i saved this mail,
> will send it back.

No, this thing will not be in a released DeviceKit-power version. It's
the wrong thing to do, we all know it, we all agree it's bad, it's just
a matter of reverting the patch and moving on with our lives.

> If this is not going to be implemented in dkp then people will just
> stick with HAL
> or will write their own service for this, including myself, without this
> small brightness applet
> on my panel which talk to HAL i can't change my brightness at *all* and
> i'm not going
> to *wait* for the XBACKLIGHT, also because laptop life in my hands is
> two years.

Yes, of course it will continue to be that way if we cave in and add an
useless and wrong interface to DeviceKit-power... in the name of porting
away from HAL without really know why we are doing that in the first
place.

> I agree with Richard, bugzilla of power managers will be full of bugs
> "my brightness is not working after
> upgrade" and since i'm the maintainer of Xfce power manager i want to
> avoid this at any price.

Just stick with HAL till then and maybe focus your energy on solving the
problem in the right layer in the stack, e.g. X.org or whatever.

     David