udev-ish replacement for hal-cups-utils?

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 13 10:07:50 PDT 2009

Hello Tim,

Tim Waugh [2009-07-13 15:52 +0100]:
> > I see. So we can basically keep the structure of hal_lpadmin to become
> > cups_admin (except that this should fork into the background to avoid
> > stalling udev processing), and just replace the hal specific
> > information retrieval with some libudev calls to get the properties
> > from udev?
>
> Yes.  Can that be done from Python at the moment?

There are no python bindings for libudev right now. I'd certainly like
to see some, since I'm a heavy Python fan myself. :-)

So the workaround for now would be to just grab it out of udevadm, as
I wrote in my original mail. Obviously you can't subscribe to uevents
with that, but if the scripts are triggered from an udev rule, you
don't actually need to. You can also design the udev rule in a way to
pass all information you need (such as device ID, etc.) to the callout
as command line arguments, then you can avoid calling udevadm at all.

Martin