udev-ish replacement for hal-cups-utils?

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Thu Jul 16 09:05:11 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 10:44 +0200, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> So we need a utility written in C which can poll the printer's device ID
> with both libusb and usblp methods, so that it returns the device ID
> independent whether the device was discovered via low-level USB or
> through the usblp kernel module. It should do nothing more than output
> "ID_IEEE1284=<device ID>" on stdout.

No, I think this is wrong.

Firstly: do we actually need it to fetch the Device ID using the usblp
ioctl() method at all?  I think it's fine to require that the CUPS usb
backend uses libusb.

Secondly, it must do more than just collect the Device ID: it must also
decide whether this matches any existing queue.  Otherwise, we'll
*always* end up invoking Python.

If a queue needs to be added, enabled, or disabled, then it would need
to execve() the Python script to do that. (In fact, enable/disable are
simple enough that it could do that without external help.)

Tim.
*/