udev-ish replacement for hal-cups-utils?

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Thu Jul 23 10:36:08 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 16:55 +0200, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> I have applied it to our Ubuntu HPLIP package and now the segfault goes
> away, but if there is no usblp kernel module, most device IDs do not get
> read from the printers. See below. I have run the backend twice and on
> both runs the same printers did not report their device IDs, all
> PCL-based inkjets.

I've been looking at this today.  I've changed my hplip patch so that it
uses some of the existing hpmud machinery to fetch the Device ID using
libusb.

Could you try again with CVS revision 1.3 of
devel/hplip/hplip-device-id.patch?

http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/devel/hplip/hplip-device-id.patch?revision=1.3

> Is it possible that they do not get set in time before
> udev-configure-printer gets started (they are set by another udev rule
> file)?

Yes, it's possible.  Is that actually what the problem is?  Can you look
with strace (i.e. strace -f cupsd) to see?

Which rule sets the permissions, anyway?  Is it 70-acl.rules
from /lib/udev/rules.d?  Perhaps printers.rules ought to be set later
than that (although since 'p'>'a' it already should be).

Thanks for helping out with testing.

Tim.
*/