Blackberry device permissions

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Mon Jun 29 22:35:56 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 10:09:54AM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Actually the way it's going to work in future distros (next Fedora, Suse
> and Ubuntu releases at least) is that ACL handling is moved to udev - it
> should make it a lot easier to configure. See the udev sources for
> details on how to set this up.

I took a quick look at the latest udev git sources, in preparation for the
future.  I looked at the rules under rules/rules.d.

The HAL way of doing things, as I understand it, is to grant the current
console user rw access to USB devices.  This could be done by chowning
the device to that user or adding him to an ACL.

But I don't see any of his handling in the new udev rules.  I see some
permissions being based on groups, but I don't see where the current
active console user is linked to permissions for a locally plugged in
device.

If group permissions are the future, that's great, I know how to code that
(thankfully!). :-)  But if not, I'm afraid I just don't see the link.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
- Chris