DeviceKit-disks 003 and gnome-disk-utility 0.2 released

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Wed Mar 4 01:44:26 PST 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 10:19, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 17:06 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
>> On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 09:38 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
>> > Are you planning on shipping DeviceKit _and_ udev-extras in F11, or will
>> > the latter obsolete the former?
>>
>> I think DeviceKit and what we're putting in udev-extras can live side by
>> side just fine.
>
> Cool, that's what was worrying me.

That should work fine for a short time to port stuff over, yes.

>> And we probably want a separate udev-dbus-daemon at first, later we can
>> experiment with merging it into udevd. That's tricky though, udevd
>> starts before the system bus daemon and some people might have libdbus
>> on /usr and /usr may be mounted late. Fun like that.
>
> Yes, I think for that sake it's best to keep them as two separate
> binaries.

We might need to keep them separate, but for other reasons. We would
need some ldopen hacks to late-link, because the same udev binary is
used in initramfs and such situations. Also the build dependencies for
udev must be kept small, because we need to support setups without
dbus, and it might be just easier not to have dbus code in the main
udev repo at all.

> People living on remote /usr are usually very vocal, and
> telling them they don't have access to any hardware might be a bitter
> pill to swallow.

It never really worked on non very custom setups, and it's unlikely it
will ever work correctly in the future. We start to use stuff from
/usr in udev rules, even on bootup, and as it looks like, it's usage
is just increasing over time. :)

Thanks,
Kay