Invalid properties names

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu May 14 08:14:35 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 14:35 +0200, Davide Bettio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems that according to dbus specs dashes aren't allowed, so all the
> properties have wrong names (like daemon-version).

Yeah, this is on my TODO list; the API is still unstable so it's not a
problem to change this.

> According to the specs, «Interface, signal, method, and property names are
> "WindowsStyleCaps", note that the first letter is capitalized, unlike Java».
> I suggest you to change all properties names otherwise KDE will not be able to
> use devicekit because Qt can't handle property names that contains dashes.

I think Qt should probably be fixed to handle this by doing something
like s/-/_/ when generating code. That said, the right solution is, of
course, to fix the services but since D-Bus is so free-form and we don't
have validation tools (yet) you're going to run into things like this.

    David