Where is the place of specifying automount options for a specific file system

Zhu, Peter J peter.j.zhu at intel.com
Mon Nov 30 23:01:44 PST 2009

Using /etc/fstab?? I don't understand. For fixed partition, yes, it's anaconda's job to manipulate this file do right thing. But for a hot-plugged device like a USB disk , we shouldn't use this file. We should do it with something like udev rules, I think. And for your info, mount show "(rw,nosuid,nodeve,uhelper=devkit,uid=500,gid=500,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,flush)" for a usb disk. I want to know where are the mount options from?

> I'm curious though - what mount options do you need to change? The
> defaults should work out of the box.

Yes, works. Just want to know how it works.