DeviceKit-power release next Monday

Kévin Ottens ervin at ipsquad.net
Wed Oct 7 08:34:30 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 7 October 2009 02:02:18 Mikhail Gusarov wrote:
> Twas brillig at 19:40:48 06.10.2009 UTC-04 when david at fubar.dk did gyre
> and gimble:
>
>  DZ> Applications (that are not disk utility, partitioning etc. apps)
>  DZ> should just be using the GIO API since it's simpler and do what
>  DZ> they need (discover/watch mounts). Or, of course, similar APIs if
>  DZ> you use other toolkits than the G stack.
>
> As involved in E stack, I should comment this leats to major PitA:
> either you need to keep code to talk to different versions of DK-[dp]
> (== bloat) or to restrict your libraries to a limited set of versions of
> DK-[dp] (== useless).

Being involced in the Q stack, I have to concur here. All those release cycles
are not aligned and it's very unlikely that they'll ever be aligned. I'd end
up having code for several versions of the DeviceKit-* just like I did in the
KDE3 era with HAL. I'd prefer not go through this again if we can avoid it.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."