DeviceKit-power release next Monday

Kévin Ottens ervin at ipsquad.net
Wed Oct 7 09:59:11 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 7 October 2009 18:46:45 Mikhail Gusarov wrote:
> Twas brillig at 12:24:43 07.10.2009 UTC-04 when david at fubar.dk did gyre
> and gimble:
>
>  DZ> FWIW, I think our version numbers should probably be changed so it
>  DZ> is easier for distros to coordinate this effort. E.g. we should
>  DZ> probably have
>
>  DZ>  <feature-version>.<abi-version>.<release>
>
> That'd be nice.

Well, if feature-version is incremented when a non backward compatible ABI
change is made, I'll be able to live with this.

>  DZ> No, it is public ABI that is subject to change.
>
> Okay. As a sidenote: are there public APIs which are essentially frozen
> at all? Even POSIX changes, though slowly.

Well, there's a difference between making it deep frozen and keeping backward
compatibility. That's definitely what worries me most here, I'm not against
every ABI change, but backward compatibility breakages will definitely make my
life unnecessarily harder.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."