storage hotpluggable property

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Oct 16 12:21:36 PDT 2009

Hey Dave,

On Fri, 2009-10-16 at 13:34 -0400, Dave Allan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm working on libvirt replacing the current HAL based device
> enumeration with libudev based enumeration, and there doesn't seem to be
> an equivalent of the HAL storage hotpluggable property in libudev.  My
> sense is that the hotpluggable property is obsolete.  Is that correct?

Yeah, whether something is hotpluggable or not doesn't make a lot of
sense with SATA and other stuff being so widely used (and, mind you,
there is no way to automagically determine if a disk is connected via
eSATA or SATA).

Anyway, DKD exports a property called is-system-internal that is
intended to be used for conveying whether a certain disk is considered
"part of the system" (e.g. contains root filesystems and other bits
needed for the system to function). Right now I believe the property is
hard-coded (set to TRUE unless the disk is connected via USB, Firewire
or SDIO/Memstick buses) but in the future admins could set it via udev
rules and/or users could tweak the value via Palimpsest or something.

FWIW, we use is-system-internal only to determine what authorization is
required for the user to mount/change the disk - system-internal disks
normally requires administrator authentication.

So is-system-internal and is-hotpluggable aren't terribly interesting
properties. What were you using is-hotpluggable for?

Thanks,
David