udisks replacement for the HAL EjectPressed signal?

Benjamin K. Stuhl benjamin.stuhl at colorado.edu
Thu Jan 14 17:48:21 PST 2010

Hi all,
   I'm (slowly) working on writing a udisks/upower/udev/... backend for
KDE's hardware abstraction layer ("Solid"), and I've run into a
substantial functionality loss with udisks: there doesn't seem to be a
replacement for HAL's EjectPressed signal for CD/DVD drives. (HAL emits
EjectPressed when the user presses the _physical_ eject button on the
drive itself, but there's no way to get that information other than by
polling the drive. Well, supposedly there's an asynchronous status
request as well, but at least as of a few years ago word was that no
drives actually implemented it...) Since I would rather not have to put
polling code into KDE at the desktop level (it _should_ be at the udisks
level where it will obey the same "inhibit polling" requests as the rest
of the stack), would it be possible to get an equivalent to EjectPressed
added to udisks?

Thanks,
-- BKS