Speed up DeviceKit device probing on really slow devices

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Tue Jan 19 14:00:47 PST 2010

Hey,

(moving to the appropriate list)

On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 11:41 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> My wife has a embroidery machine that acts as a USB memory stick when
> plugged into a computer through its USB port. It has a truly stunning
> read  speed of 15kB/s (yes, really), and it turns out that both udev and
> DeviceKit react very badly to devices that are slow, because they read
> too much data off it.

Thanks for the patch - I just applied it:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/DeviceKit/DeviceKit-disks/commit/?id=c8076f0095ce85b10b287e6c5d92f8b5520018f2

As Kay said on the util-linux-ng list, the plan is to use blkid for this
in the future - so at some point udisks-part-id will go away.

Actually, I *think* the code is already in blkid for this - but IIRC a
few details such as partition flags are still missing (see e.g.
http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/gdu-edit-partition.png for how this
information is used)

Thanks,
David