udisks polling makes LTN403L CD-ROM drive click

Marti Raudsepp marti at juffo.org
Wed Jan 20 02:52:34 PST 2010

Hi list,

I'm using the latest git version of udisks (rev c8076f0) on a
temporary machine, which has a LTN403L IDE CD-ROM drive. Due to udisks
polling the drive, the drive flashes its activity light and physically
clicks every 5 seconds which gets annoying fast. :)
This happens regardless of whether there is a disc in the drive.

Also when I eject the tray, it pullsback in straight away.

While running "udisks --inhibit-polling /dev/hdd", this behavior stops.

HAL polling does not cause this behavior; I can see
"hald-addon-storage: polling /dev/hdd (every 2 sec)" in process list

Another odd thing about this computer is that Palimpsest lists this
drive directly under "Local Storage", not under a controller. I
haven't seen this on other computers.

Regards,
Marti

% sudo lshw
*snip*
        *-ide:0
             product: CK8S Parallel ATA Controller (v2.5)
             vendor: nVidia Corporation
             physical id: 8
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:08.0
             version: a2
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 66MHz
             capabilities: ide pm bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=AMD_IDE latency=0 maxlatency=1 mingnt=3
             resources: irq:0 ioport:1f0(size=8) ioport:3f6
ioport:170(size=8) ioport:376 ioport:f000(size=16)
           *-ide:0
                physical id: 0
                bus info: ide at 0
                logical name: ide0
                clock: 66MHz
           *-ide:1
                physical id: 1
                bus info: ide at 1
                logical name: ide1
                clock: 66MHz
              *-cdrom
                   product: LTN403L
                   physical id: 1
                   bus info: ide at 1.1
                   logical name: /dev/hdd
                   version: FL1B
                   capabilities: packet atapi cdrom removable
nonmagnetic dma lba iordy audio
                   configuration: mode=udma2 status=open
*snip*

% udisks --show-info /dev/hdd
Showing information for /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/hdd
  native-path:
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.0/ide1/1.1/block/hdd
  device:                      22:64
  device-file:                 /dev/hdd
    by-id:                     /dev/disk/by-id/ata-LTN403L_
    by-path:                   /dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:08.0
  detected at:                 Wed 20 Jan 2010 12:34:17 PM EET
  system internal:             0
  removable:                   1
  has media:                   0
    detects change:            1
    detection by polling:      1
    detection inhibitable:     1
    detection inhibited:       0
  is read only:                0
  is mounted:                  0
  mount paths:
  mounted by uid:              0
  presentation hide:           0
  presentation nopolicy:       0
  presentation name:
  presentation icon:
  size:                        0
  block size:                  0
  job underway:                no
  usage:
  type:
  version:
  uuid:
  label:
  drive:
    vendor:
    model:                     LTN403L
    revision:                  FL1B
    serial:
    WWN:
    detachable:                0
    can spindown:              0
    rotational media:          Yes, unknown rate
    write-cache:               unknown
    ejectable:                 1
    adapter:                   Unknown
    ports:
    media:
      compat:                  optical_cd optical_mrw optical_mrw_w
    interface:                 (unknown)
    if speed:                  (unknown)
    ATA SMART:                 not available