Question about enable polling.

Stef Bon stef at bononline.nl
Tue Oct 5 04:48:40 PDT 2010

  On 10/04/2010 06:41 PM, Kay Sievers wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 17:42, Kay Sievers<kay.sievers at vrfy.org>  wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 17:30, Stef Bon<stef at bononline.nl>  wrote:
>>
>>> To be sure, the command
>>>
>>> udisk --poll-for-media /dev/sr0
>>>
>>> results in:
>>> :>  ps aux | grep udisks | grep -v grep
>>> root      2792  0.0  0.0  14408  3060 ?        SNl  12:09   0:00
>>> /usr/lib/udisks/udisks-daemon
>>> root      2793  0.0  0.0   5884   668 ?        SN   12:09   0:03
>>> udisks-daemon: polling /dev/sr0 /dev/sdc /dev/sdd /dev/sr1
>>>
>>> So while giving the command to poll the /dev/sr0 device only, it starts
>>> polling all the removable devices. That's what I mean with not intended
>>> behaviour. You mention that the intended behaviour is only polling the
>>> device on the command line right?
>> I think the polling is started even before you run that command.
>>
>> Make sure you start udisks somehow, its usually done by the desktop
>> calling into D-Bus.
> Maybe I wasn't clear. Running the above command probably causes the
> D-Bus bus activation of the udisks daemon. The actual --poll-for-media
> does not specifically start the periodic polling, it starts the
> daemon. With the daemon startup, periodic polling is always started
> too.

Yes, that's it. Ive tried it here myself, and indeed this behaviour.

The polling is started also with a command like udisks --enumerate

Thus the way to enable polling for all removable devices is to start at
boot time:

udisks --enumerate >> /dev/null ?

in some init script.

Futher what's the mount options for? I've seen already that it mounts at
/media. Can I tell it where to mount?

And how are the default options determined??

I'm specially interested cause I'm building system which provides users
easy, powerfull en intuitive access to all kinds of resources, also USB
disks, CDroms and Harddisk.
It's build with a FUSE module fuse-workspace-ll,  the automounter
autofs, ConsoleKit for sessionsupport, udev and udisks (or HAL) for
hardware detection, cifs for mounting SMB shares and a lot of scripts.

See:

http://linux.bononline.nl/wiki/index.php/Mount.md5key

especially the page

http://linux.bononline.nl/wiki/index.php/Changes_and_issues

for the latest screenshots,

and

http://linux.bononline.nl/projects/mount.md5key.new/

It's not using udisks now for the mounting, but just the direct commands
for it like mount -t ext4 ...
and some default options and options to make the user for which the
device is mounted "owner" of the device.

It supports MultiSeat, it's possible that a device is mounted multiple
times, for different users.

Does udisks supports more than one mountpoint?

Stef