Question about enable polling.

David Zeuthen zeuthen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 08:05:46 PDT 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Stef Bon <stef at bononline.nl> wrote:
>  On 10/05/2010 04:09 PM, David Zeuthen wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Via /etc/fstab.
>
> Can you give an example?

/dev/disk/by-label/MyUsbStick /mnt/MyUsbStick ext4 defaults,user 0 0

>> Sure. Note that GNOME and other desktops already supports this quite well
>> with GVfs.
>
> I know, but that is for Gnome platforms only.

That is incorrect. GVfs does not even have a dependency on GTK+ - it
only depends on GLib and (optionally) some device libraries like
libgphoto2, networking libraries like samba, things like fuse and so
on. For the record a number of non-GNOME desktops such as XFCE already
uses GVfs. If you wanted, you could easily hook this up for console
logins (but I personally think that's a waste of time).

The main thing about this setup is the separation of policy,
implementation and API interfaces

   - API interfaces are in libgio
   - implementations are in GVfs
   - policy (e.g. presentation / automounting) is in e.g. Nautilus

which you seem to be completely missing in your setup. For example,
one driving factor behind the API in libgio is that the API interfaces
are not POSIX simply because our experience have shown that these
interface are not adequate for desktop applications (e.g. async IO,
not useful for document centric). Other things we wanted but which
isn't really in POSIX includes the role that GMountOperation plays -
e.g. a way to reliably participate in providing the secrets needed to
mount/connect/etc to a drive/volume/share.

    David