udisks and eSATA: a question about the meaning of "detachable"

David Zeuthen zeuthen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 08:47:05 PDT 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 11:00 AM, David Zeuthen <zeuthen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the only workable solution is that the user interface simply
> doesn't expose whether a device with mountable filesystem is actually
> mounted or not - some sort of clever mount-on-demand thing.
> Unfortunately POSIX doesn't really make this easy but it could be made
> to work by using either autofs (same way systemd does it) or through
> clever use of GIO/GVfs.

Btw, this is how Nautilus and the GTK+ file chooser already work: if
you click the volume icon and the device is not mounted, then we mount
it (normally takes < 0.1s) and then you get to see its contents. The
only difference, really, is a) that you don't see an eject icon next
to the volume; and b) we don't look for directories like /DCIM and
prompt "woot, would you like to import cat photos". So I'd argue that
GNOME is already doing the right thing here.

    David