UDisks: partition resize/move support

Иво Георгиев ivo at linvo.org
Mon Nov 7 09:07:48 PST 2011

На 07 ноември 2011, 18:15, David Zeuthen <zeuthen at gmail.com> написа:

Hey,

> 2011/11/5 Иво Георгиев <ivo at linvo.org>:
> > The documentation says "TODO: Consider allowing changing offset and
> size."
> > under PartitionModify().
> > If that feature is still desired/welcome, I'd be happy to try to
> implement
> > it. Is it?
>
> Yes it is but the work should happen in udisks2 (which is now on the
> master branch, udisks 1.x is on the udisks1 branch) where a lot of
> work is currently going on wrt creating/deleting/modifying partitions.
> Interface/API-wise I think it would just be a method on the
> org.fd.UDisks2.Partition interface
>

> http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/udisks2-20111102/gdbus-org.freedesktop.UDisks2.Partition.html
>
> Thanks,
> David

Shouldn't the method contain "filesystem" (since it will re-size the
file-system first), or it would not re-size file-systems (only modifying
the partition table)?
And actually, from what I understand, the current UDisks partition modify
helper has the ability to change the offset/size of an existing entry in
the partition table (of course, without touching the FS itself), but the
UDisks daemon does not allow this through the D-Bus API - judging from a
quick code check, when partition modify is requested, it always passes the
current size/offset to the helper.

Also, if I want to create a private (since this functionality is not
planned for this branch of udisks) patch to allow changing the partition
table, what do I have to call in a helper (or in the demon, after the
helper finishes execution) to force UDisks update partition table data?

Thanks

I'm terribly sorry for sending this twice. I meant to send the reply in the
mailing list but sent it to David Zeuthen personally by mistake.