Patch submission for incorrect battery %

mark ellis m at rkellis.com
Tue Feb 12 16:37:07 PST 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 9:28 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11 February 2013 00:38, mark ellis <m at rkellis.com> wrote:
> > I've made a new patch that works just the same, but instead of copy and
> > pasting i've just moved the block that works out energy-full and
> > energy-full-design out of the coldplug if.
>
> So energy-full and energy-full-design actually change at runtime?! If
> that's the case, I guess your patch makes sense. Could you grab me the
> output the full output of the sysfs battery device before and after
> the energy-full-design value changes please? Thanks.

They do change, but only for a split second (because the battery is broken,
and lies about it's charge state every now and then) so I can't get a dump
of before and after (well I can but they're the same).

The only noticeable change is that according to upower energy-full goes up,
from around 48Wh to ~700Wh, which makes the calculation for remaining
energy way off.

This patch just means that upower will reread what the battery says it's
charge_full is so it can work out the correct % remaining. Before this
patch I had to restart upower every so often (sometimes every few minutes,
sometimes longer).

I wish I could provide more info to help, but it's all because of the
broken battery, and it's a nightmare trying to track it down!

Hope this helps,

Mark