New wip/gdbus branch for UPower

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Fri Oct 11 04:29:30 PDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-10-11 at 13:18 +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 11:34 PM, Bastien Nocera <hadess at hadess.net> wrote:
> > - Requesting suspend/hibernate/hybrid suspend on behalf of the session
> > on critical battery
>
> How do you envision this working?
>
> In particular, do you think it would make sense to allow some sort of
> collaboration with some system daemon? The reason I ask is that we
> probably want something sensible to happen on low battery even if no
> session has been started (or where the only started sessions don't run
> a power manager).

UPower would call logind to suspend when the battery[1] is lower than a
certain level. I'm moving the policy to determine whether the battery is
considered critical to UPower itself.

Each device and the daemon would have a "warning-level" property (none,
low, critical, action). The session daemons would use none/low/critical
levels to show warnings, and UPower itself the "action" level to call
for hibernate or power off.

[1]: Aggregated "power supply" batteries and UPSes