Getting/Setting the system timezone

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Tue Apr 8 11:21:21 PDT 2008

We went through this whole debate internally here at rPath[1].  I think we
settled on a copy so that your timezone could be set even if only / could be
mounted (and /usr was a separate partition).  This is problematic though, for
example when the meaning of Daylight Saving Time changes.  We now use
tzdata-update when we do an update to copy new files into place.

According to the FSB, /usr/share is the right place for zoneinfo files on
*NIX, since they can be shared across multiple machines, but that is
problematic if your system clock is not UTC and you have to boot to single
user mode (or equivalent) and a copy of the system's timezone isn't present
on the / filesystem.  How does Debian get around this problem?

Joseph
[1] https://issues.rpath.com/browse/RPL-1023