coordination around missing upstream

Bruno Cornec Bruno.Cornec at hp.com
Mon Apr 21 00:56:38 PDT 2008

Patrice Dumas said on Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 08:50:56PM +0200:

> When an upstream is not active anymore, I think that it would be nice
> if the distribution maintainer could take responsibility of hosting the
> project and accept patches. Otherwise we cannot send patches upstream
> anymore and all the distributions create forks.

I have another case with the vsftpd server. I made patches for the
mandriva distribution, that I also sent upstream with out answer. There
is no upstream mailing-list, but the upstream maintainer did publish
recently a new version (without integration of these pathces anyway). So
if this is of intereste to other vsftpd package maintainers, we could
disucss here of the opportunity to have a group action to submit those
patches again upstream (or not) ...

> Do you think it would be a good use of the list?

IMHO yes, of course !

Bruno.
--
Linux Profession Lead EMEA  / Open Source Evangelist \        HP C&I EMEA IET
http://www.mondorescue.org / HP/Intel Solution Center \  http://hpintelco.net