Conflicting filenames in upstream packages

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 09:41:38 PDT 2008

How do other distributions deal with conflicting filenames in upstream
packages?  For instance, in Fedora we have coda-client and coq packaged.
  They both provide /usr/bin/parser.

Our policy is to rename one or both of those to a new name so that users
can install both packages if they desire.  However, that does pose the
problem of inconsistency with upstream and other distros (we want our
packagers to ping upstream first, of course, but they aren't always
amenable to changing the name.)

If other distros have a policy of name changing, it would be nice to
start a list of packages that we're doing renames to so that we could at
least have consistency between ourselves.

-Toshio