Conflicting filenames in upstream packages

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 10:28:59 PDT 2008

James Westby wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 09:41 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> How do other distributions deal with conflicting filenames in upstream
>> packages?  For instance, in Fedora we have coda-client and coq packaged.
>>   They both provide /usr/bin/parser.
>
> Hey,
>
> Debian (and by extension Ubuntu) has the same attitude it seems.
>
> There are a couple of approaches you can use
>
>   * Alternatives, if both /usr/bin/parser were command
>     line compatible implementations of the same thing then they
>     can use "alternatives" to make themselves co-installable and
>     let the administrator choose which /usr/bin/parser
>     invokes. Think java compilers.
>
>   * Conflicts, if the two packages are not meant to be installed
>     together then a conflicts is appropriate. However, shipping
>     the same filename isn't a good enough reason on it's own.
>     If the two packages are unrelated and just have a filename
>     clash you are not supposed to conflict.
>
>   * Renaming, as you said, if there is no other choice then
>     one or the other must rename the file.
>
> I realise that's more than you asked for, but you might be interested
> in the policies behind it as well as the end result.

Very!  Your explanation seems like a more succinct version of what we
have in our guidelines::
   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Conflicts#Conflicting_Files

We have lots of examples but you've boiled it down into something more
structured.

>> If other distros have a policy of name changing, it would be nice to
>> start a list of packages that we're doing renames to so that we could at
>> least have consistency between ourselves.
>
> That would be an interesting idea, and a good use for the wiki I expect.
>
> I don't imagine there is a better way of finding existing cases
> than asking developers where they know of any?

Yeah.  While there are files conflicting it's easy to tell which
packages have issues.  Once we resolve the problem, there's no automated
way to detect that the issue existed.

-Toshio