Unifying bugtracking

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sun Mar 9 08:35:57 PDT 2008

Murat Gunes wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 15:40:45 +0100, "Hans de Goede"
> <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> said:
>
>> Yes and thats all very nice, except that its _totally_ useless for other
>> distro's as launchpad is not opensource.
>>
>> Sorry I know this is a collaboration list, but please don't go tell us
>> how
>> fantastic your _closed source_ solution is.
>
> My intention was not to tell you how fantastic Launchpad is, but to mark
> the similarity between what Baetle sets out to do and what Launchpad
> does,
> albeit in a different way technically. I'm neither a developer of it,
> nor
> associated with the company that develops it;

Okay, then please stop defending it.

 > And as long as
> interfacing
> with other data sources and access to data hosted in Launchpad is made
> possible via open protocols (i.e. XML-RPC), the fact that it's closed
> source should have as much bearing on the ability of other distributions
> to utilize it as the fact that Google (which, like Launchpad, is
> intended
> as a service, not as software for you to run on your own machines) is
> closed source has on your ability to utilize it.

Wrong, if google decided to stop offering its service, that would not be a
problem for Fedora's primary process (building and maintaining a distro). A BTS
otoh is a vital service for a distro.

But I do agree with you on one thing ...

> Anyway, this subject has been done to death in many other discussions
> and
> I don't think it makes a good topic to drag the first ever subject of
> discussion in this list on to. If you'd still like to discuss it, you
> may

I agree this should not be discussed here, so lets end this discussion here.

Regards,

Hans