invitation to vcs-pkg: integrating VCS with package maintenance

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Mon Mar 17 05:20:00 PDT 2008

Hi folks,

since noone spoke up in response to
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/distributions/2008-March/000069.html,
I think our two mailing lists will co-exist. I herewith would like
to invite interested people to join vcs-pkg and would appreciate if
you passed this mail around within your distro.

The aim of the vcs-pkg project is to investigate the use of version
control for distro package maintenance. We bring together people
interested in taking the next step in distro package maintenance:
the proper integration of version control into the package
maintenance workflow.

Maintainers of a specific package in all distros basically have the
same task. We could benefit from each other if we joined forces:
less workload, improved access to patches in use by other distros,
more structured communication, a wider spread of innovation, etc..

Why not approach the challenge together?

Please circulate this email within your distribution or otherwise
pass the word.

If you are interested in vcs-pkg, please join our mailing list:

  http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.package-management.vcs-pkg

It would be nice if you introduced yourself with a short paragraph,
letting us know about your distro involvement and (D)VCS experience.

Also, you're welcome to come hang out in #vcs-pkg/irc.oftc.net,
subscribe to and register your vcs-pkg-related blog feeds with
http://vcs-pkg.org/planet/, and surf over to http://vcs-pkg.org/ for
more information.

Thanks,

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>

"the liar at any rate recognises that recreation, not instruction, is
 the aim of conversation, and is a far more civilised being than the
 blockhead who loudly expresses his disbelief in a story which is told
 simply for the amusement of the company."
                                                        -- oscar wilde