Terminal Standard

Thomas de Grenier de Latour tom.gl at free.fr
Tue Mar 18 15:10:11 PDT 2008

On 2008/03/17, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:

> There is a stanard, its called xterm and most other terminal
> emulators (gnome-terminal, konsole) mimick it.

Things are far from being perfect though:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/30624

[ Short version:  Having all terminal emulators claiming they're xterms
is bad, because they don't actually support all its capabilities, and
thus bound the xterm definition to a least common denominator.  Hence
limited features in apps, even for people using a real xterm.  Follows
a proposal about having a specific $TERM value for each term emulator
in Gentoo, with a suitable term definition, and ultimatly uncripple the
xterm's one. ]

2.5 years later, it seems that Gentoo has not implemented this proposal,
since my Gnome-Terminal still exports TERM=xterm (and still hangs on a
fair number of xtermcontrol commands).  Still, it's worth reading imho.

--
TGL.