Thoughts on a hardware-specific bugzilla?

Stewart Adam maillist at diffingo.com
Sun May 25 13:06:43 PDT 2008

Hi,

I originally posted this message to fedora-devel-list, but someone
suggested it would better to discuss it here, so here it is!

I've been working out a few hardware bugs on a new laptop lately, and I
thought it would be interesting to create a specific category/product in
the current bugzilla for hardware bugs. Various components could be
listed as the different hardware categories (wifi, screen/backlight,
trackpad, keyboard, speakers, etc) and this way hardware issues could be
tracked separately from software bugs. Hopefully, this would help
hardware bugs be resolved faster and it would be a good step forward for
getting more computers to work out of the box on a standard Fedora
install. Do you think it's worth it?

(Just to clarify, by "hardware bugs" I mean things like missing device
IDs from kernel source files, suspend quirks, display backlight control,
missing sound, or a component not being detected at all. Devices
malfunctioning in Linux due to a driver bug would fall under software
bugs IMO)

I wrote that thinking that this could be implmented on the Red Hat
bugzilla, but really it would make more sense to make a centralized
bugzilla that all distributions could work on together to solve the
hardware bugs across multiple distros.

Stewart