Why Upstream

Santiago M. Mola cooldwind at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 01:22:50 PDT 2008

Hi Rahul,

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 11:11 PM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been maintaining a document for encouraging Fedora package
> maintainers to upstream their patches and publishing reasons for doing
> so at
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/WhyUpstream
>
> I have been thinking of putting up a more generic variant of it in the
> distribution wiki and pointing to that instead. Can folks from other
> distributions go through it and see if this is acceptable to them and if
> so, after I publish it in the distro wiki, considering pointing to this
> from your own packaging related guidelines. I would like to see
> distributions point to the common wiki for ideas everyone agrees with.

Collaborating with upstream as much as possible is essential for any
distribution developer. I think all distros should make that clear to
their new developers when recruiting them.

The document looks fine as is, so I vote for the inclusion in the distros wiki.

Regards,
--
Santiago M. Mola
Jabber ID: cooldwind at gmail.com