(nonfree) blobwars family of games

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sat Sep 27 00:16:43 PDT 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Karl Goetz wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I know some of you will have already seen this, but it seemed relevent
>> enough to post here. Sorry if its already come through, I didnt notice
>> it.
>>
>>> It is with much regret that I have to ask you to remove the following
>>> packages from your repositories,
>>>
>>> blobwars (Blob Wars : Metal Blob Solid)
>>> starfighter (Project: Starfighter)
>>> blobAndConquer (Blob Wars : Blob And Conquer)
>>> viruskiller (Virus Killer)
>>>
>>> It has been brought to my attention ... [the games] ... should all be removed
>>> immediately to avoid any legal issues.
>> From
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-motu/2008-August/004432.html ,
>> but i can dig out all the other references if you'd like them too.
>> kk
>>
>> (CCing gNS as we only dealt with blobwars).
>
> Yes, the developer himself maintained many distributions directly.
> Discussed for Fedora in
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-games-list/2008-August/msg00027.html
>
> Fedora has replaced the content in some of the games to workaround the
> problem. So might want to want look into that and share resources.

Notice that while replacing we've replaced them with content which matches
Fedora's content guidelines and is not necessarily free as in free software
(in Fedora we do not demand that content licenses allow modification, an
architect may not want to have the house he designed changed afterwards, a
painter does not want his painting modified, etc.).

Regards,

Hans