(nonfree) blobwars family of games

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sat Sep 27 03:21:50 PDT 2008

Ben Finney wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> writes:
>
>> Ben Finney wrote:
>>> Those arguments are as valid for programs as for any other
>>> software; i.e. not at all. A programmer, after all, "may not want
>>> to have the program he wrote changed by the recipient afterwards".
>>> That doesn't give any support to the idea that such a work belongs
>>> in a free operating system.
>> FSF makes the distinction between software and "non functional
>> data".
>
> No matter who makes an argument, it should be criticised on its
> merits. I merely pointed out the inherent fallacy in supposing that
> one bitstream can be distinguished from another in terms of what
> freedom the recipient deserves.
>
> I'm not interested in opening a flame war, but I'm also not going to
> let flawed arguments against software freedom go unchallenged.

Ugh, I was planning on not reacting, but this is just sooo stupid. So your
going to take a "van Gogh" painting and modify it? Even if you're modifications
  by all accounts would be seen as improvements I'm sure art critics, art
historians and art scientists would pretty much kill you. Art != code and some
content is art, so your arguments are the arguments that are flawed.

And please don't come with the I may not want to, but I want to have the right
to argument. Artists have both the right and very good reasons to disallow
modification to their art, and as long as the allow using it in anyway and
allow free (re)distribution, including said art in a Free Software distribution
is fine. In the Netherlands certain groups of artists even have the right to
disallow modification of their works even after the sold their works encoded in
the law.

Regards,

Hans