Why Upstream

Rodrigo Moya rodrigo at gnome-db.org
Mon Sep 29 03:38:35 PDT 2008

> Hi,
>
> I have been maintaining a document for encouraging Fedora package
> maintainers to upstream their patches and publishing reasons for doing
> so at
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/WhyUpstream

I would add a point:

* when working on new features, try to discuss with upstream how to do
it before starting to work on them. This helps a lot in acceptance by
upstream, rather than sending a complete patch for that new feature that
upstream might not agree with at all. Discussing with upstream the best
way to add that new feature before actually doing it makes future
integration of the patch a much easier task

It's true that might not work always, for instance for "secret" features
you want to have first in your distro, so private discussion with
upstream might work in these cases
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo at gnome-db.org>