[gNewSense-users] (nonfree) blobwars family of games

Sam Geeraerts samgee at elmundolibre.be
Sat Sep 27 04:12:04 PDT 2008

Karl Goetz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know some of you will have already seen this, but it seemed relevent
> enough to post here. Sorry if its already come through, I didnt notice
> it.
>
>> It is with much regret that I have to ask you to remove the following
>> packages from your repositories,
>>
>> blobwars (Blob Wars : Metal Blob Solid)
>> starfighter (Project: Starfighter)
>> blobAndConquer (Blob Wars : Blob And Conquer)
>> viruskiller (Virus Killer)
>>
>> It has been brought to my attention ... [the games] ... should all be removed
>> immediately to avoid any legal issues.
>
> From
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-motu/2008-August/004432.html ,
> but i can dig out all the other references if you'd like them too.
> kk
>
> (CCing gNS as we only dealt with blobwars).

I haven't followed this issue too closely, but I would like to again
bring the graphics to the attention. I seems that Debian has only
removed music and sounds [1]. Yet, as far as I know, only the source
code explicitly has a license. The thread on Happy Penguin [2] says:

---
So I got an email reply form Scarfy, in which I got clarification on
what needs replacement:

Quote:
So, to clarify, the source code, data sets and graphics are Free. The rest
is unknown (but as far as I'm concerned, I'm just redistributing assets that
were already available freely).
---

But Free for Scarfy may not mean Free for Debian or gNewSense. I haven't
looked at all the bug reports in detail, but I hope someone has taken
this into account.

[2]
http://www.happypenguin.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4725&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30