request for comments - standardization of python's purelib and platlib

Jan Matejek jan.matejek at novell.com
Fri Aug 14 09:11:07 PDT 2009

Dne 13.8.2009 21:22, Brett Cannon napsal(a):
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 11:23, Jan Matejek <jan.matejek at novell.com> wrote:
>> 1 - the traditional way
>> purelib = /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages
>> platlib = /usr/lib(64)/pythonX.Y/site-packages
>>

> Why can't pure libraries go into lib64 as well? There is nothing saying that
> a pure Python package won't have a setup.py that installs different files
> based on whether it is for a 32-bit or 64-bit CPython install.

What i'd like to accomplish is to have pure "noarch" package that can be
installed unchanged into 32bit or 64bit (or 256bit) system, and the
respective python would still find the files.
Or, to put it another way, a package that can be installed into a
multiarch system and be recognized by pythons of all architectures
(assuming they are the same version, of course).

If the distutils package installs different pure files for 32bit and
64bit python, then it can't be "noarch", so it doesn't matter if it goes
into lib64.

Also, such package would break this particular scheme - in the situation
where the user installs only 32bit version of such package and tries to
run it with 64bit python, it will probably break in some weird way.

Last but not least, i'd argue that if a python-only package installs
different files for different platforms, it is platform-dependent and
therefore not pure ;)

>> 2 - the sharedir way
>> purelib = /usr/share/python/X.Y
>> platlib = /usr/lib(64)/pythonX.Y/site-packages
>

> Now are you proposing that packages that have both Python source and
> extensions be split based on the type of files, or that only pure Python
> packages go to /usr/share/python and any packages that are mixed go into
> lib(64)? If you are proposing the latter this is more reasonable as the
> former will require using .pth files to get import to search both locations
> for files in the same package and that just feels icky to me.

The latter. Assume no change to "normal" distutils mechanism, only
setting the default paths. (for now anyway)

regards
m.