Stable update procedures

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu Feb 12 05:15:18 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 01:44:08PM +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:

> I find it interesting that in Fedora, you have something like "New
> upstream releases should not necessarily be pushed to release branches."
> I expect most other distros to have "New upstream releases are strongly
> discouraged in release branches, unless you have a really really good
> reason."
>
> Is there any reason for this approach?

I think that this is a distinctive feature of Fedora. In Fedora, using
the latest thing available is something viewed ppositively. In fact the
update policy intent is to slow down the amount of updates... The first
line of explanation on http://fedoraproject.org/ states that having the
latest is an explicit goal, together with being free software:

"Fedora is a Linux-based operating system that showcases the latest in free and open source software."

--
Pat