[FOSDEM-Dist2010] Re: [loki at fosdem.org: FOSDEM 2010: Distribution Miniconf]

Wouter Verhelst wouter at debian.org
Mon Nov 2 09:45:59 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 12:38:14PM +0100, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> so the topics are not "how can improve/do more with the tools we
> have" (that would be joined ubuntu/maemo/debian/.. topics) but more
> "what tools do we use, which do you use, which should we all use?" kind
> of stuff. (where "tool" can also mean "process")

While this is true, it is also true that the move from 'every
distribution can have a room for the whole weekend for their own
distribution-specific talks' to 'no distribution can have _any_ time for
their own distribution-specific talks' is rather brusque, and to be
regretted.

I do understand where this is coming from, and do support the principle
of reallocating available time and space from individual distributions
to distributions as a whole. But I'm afraid the current move will
somewhat alienate some distribution developers, and may bypass its
goals; I personally expect that at least some of those developers will
now not show up at all, rather than travel across europe to see
something they may not actually be all that interested in anyway. Which
is a pity, IMO.

trying to fool the system.