Universal package specification

Eugene Gorodinsky e.gorodinsky at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 13:13:54 PST 2009

The XML is simply to show the structure of the format. I forgot to
mention that everything except for the signature and the public key is
signed, so it doesn't make sense to make this a format which is
editable with a text editor. This is also why I'm thinking it should
be a binary format.

What I was proposing though is not a spec file format that could be
used to create rpms, debs etc., but rather an additional format like
rpm or dpkg but aimed specifically at portable packages. One of the
benefits of using it instead of a spec file is that ISVs that deliver
proprietary software such as skype or nero will be able to package
their software in this package format with every distribution
benefiting from it. No need for repackaging. Of course, in order to
support this format existing package formats need to be changed to
provide extended dependency information. However, other than that and
being compatible with the necessary libraries and dbus interfaces
nothing is required from a distribution. This allows distribution
developers to change pretty much any underlying functionality. And
when you're deciding whether to provide a specific interface for
compatibility sake or not, you can easily find out what packages will
stop working if you don't provide it.