Universal package specification

Tom Arnold t0m4rn0ld at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 09:32:08 PST 2009

2009/11/29 Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org>:

> The distros did agree on the LSB which requires that all distros be able to
> read/convert/install rpm v3 packages.
>
> which, I believe, they all can.

If that is the case, then that solution needs a reboot or a better
marketing/education campaign.
I haven't seen any third party software provider that just put a rpm
on their website and expect .deb users to install it.

Maybe just rename it to something with a catchy name and try again?
 There must be something wrong with this solution otherwise it would
have better support.
Maybe the LF could look at its shortcomings and propose an improved solution?

I think such a file should get automatic updates.
Every LSB compliant distro should be able to build those files.
Graphical one click installation should just work.
And the name should not sound so vendor specific. (I know RPM is now
RPM package management, but still it sounds a lot like Red Hat)

Cheers